1. Each entry must include: (A) Completed entry form (or photocopy). All signatures must be original. (B) Live performance of 1 original song only, 5 minutes or less in length at open audition at Bootleggers Inn on Wednesday, August 1 or Wednesday, August 8.
2. All songs submitted must be original; no cover songs will be accepted. For the purposes of this contest, the definition of an “original song” means any song that has not charted on any Billboard chart and has not appeared on any major label releases. The contestant and any person that may claim ownership of the lyrics, music and/or composition must sign the official entry affidavit that accompanies the entry. The contestant must further certify that no other party can claim ownership of the lyrics, music and/or composition of the submitted performance.
3. Contestants may enter only one song during the open audition process. WSM-AM/Gaylord Entertainment and participating sponsors are not responsible for late entries.
4. This competition is open to all amateur and professional acts regardless of nationality or origin. Employees of WSM-AM/Gaylord Entertainment, Bootleggers Inn, any affiliates sponsor employees or their families, subsidiaries and affiliates are not eligible.
5. Qualifiers will be chosen by a judging committee comprised of one or more of the following but not limited to: music industry professionals including WSM-AM staff, publishers, and producers. Songs and performances are judged equally on originality, lyrics, melody, composition and showmanship.
6. After all contestants have auditioned; a max of ten entrants will be selected to perform at the finals on Wednesday, August 15. A panel of music industry experts will choose the finalist. Other than performance time slot at the Wilson County Fair, there will be no prize consideration for selected finalists.
7. The Grand Prize Winner will be notified and must sign and return an affidavit holding harmless WSM-AM/Gaylord Entertainment from any liability in connection with use of prize. Failure to sign and return the form will result in immediate disqualification and an alternative winner will be selected. Entry constitutes permission to use winner’s names, likeness and voices for future publicity and advertising purposes without additional compensation. This includes the understanding that contestants music may be posted publicly on WSMonline.com as well as broadcast of live music should entry be a grand prize winner. The grand prize winner will be determined by 11:00 pm on Wednesday, August 15, 2012.
8. Prizes: Grand prize winner will perform as part of the opening act for the Joe Diffie concert at the Wilson County Fair on Monday, August 20, 2012. Winner must provide all transportation and lodging if necessary. WSM-AM/Gaylord Entertainment is not responsible for transportation or airfare for out of town entrants. There is no financial compensation for performance. Any costs incurred are the sole responsibility of the grand prize winner.
9. Contest is open to anyone who is a legal resident of the U.S., who is 18 years of age or older at time of entry. The Grand Prize Winner must be 18 years or older at time of entering contest. The Grand Prize Winner is subject to proving eligibility, including verification of social security number. If any Winner cannot furnish verifiable and valid proof of age within 48 hours after being notified of winning, an alternate winner may be chosen from among all remaining eligible entries received, at WSM-AM/Gaylord Entertainment’s sole discretion. Contest is not open to employees and their immediate families of WSM-AM, Gaylord Entertainment, Bootleggers Inn or any other participating sponsor as well as any person who has won a WSM-AM/Gaylord Entertainment national contest or sweepstakes in the preceding 12 month period. Winner is subject to proving eligibility. All entries become the property of WSM-AM/Gaylord Entertainment. Additional restrictions may apply.
10. All interpretations of the rules and decisions by WSM-AM/Gaylord Entertainment are final. WSM-AM/Gaylord Entertainment reserves the right at its sole discretion to modify these rules at any time; disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the entry process; to be acting in violation of the Official Rules; or to be acting in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner, or with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person.
11. Winner agrees that WSM-AM, Gaylord Entertainment, Bootleggers Inn, or their sponsors, subsidiaries, agencies, affiliates, parent and related companies and employees shall have no liability in connection with acceptance or use of any of the prizes awarded herein or while or in connection with preparing for, participating and/or traveling to any program related activity.
12. WSM-AM/Gaylord Entertainment or any affiliated parties are not responsible for lack of transportation, cancellation of concert, or act of God that may cause inability to participate in any aspect of the contest.
13. This contest is sponsored by WSM-AM, Gaylord Entertainment and any additional sponsors to be added at WSM-AM/Gaylord Entertainment’s sole discretion.
Is there an age limit?
- Yes, any U.S. resident (not employed by Gaylord Entertainment or any affiliated sponsors) 18 and over can enter.
Does it have to be country music?
- The judges will consider which artist will be the best fit as an opening act for a major country music artist.
Is there an entry fee?
Do I need to fill out an entry form in advance?
- No, entry forms will be available on site the day of the auditions.
What time should I get there?
- Registration begins at 5:00 pm. However, we suggest you get there early to secure your place in line.
Am I guaranteed an audition slot?
- No. The audition process is "first come, first served".
Can I audition with prerecorded music?
- No. You are allowed to have one musician accompany you or you can accompany yourself.
What time do the open auditions begin?
- 6:00 pm
How long do I get to sing for the judges during the open auditions?
- Each person gets to sing for a minimum of 60 seconds. (More time may be allowed at the judges’ discretion.)
How will I know if I’ve made it to the Final Round of tryouts?
- You will be notified by a member of WSM staff
How long do I get to sing for the judges if I make it to the Final Round of auditions?
- If you make it to the finals, you will be allowed to sing two (2) songs. The setup will be the same as the first round of auditions. Again, no bands are allowed and if you choose, you may have one accompanist. This contest is for solo and duo acts only.
If I win, do I receive any money?
- No financial compensation will be provided.
May I bring my band?
- No, this is not a band audition. It is for a solo or duo act only.
What should I wear?
- Wear stage attire. Wear what you would wear to a typical performance.
If I don’t have an accompanist, can I sing acapella?
- No, you need to sing with live music.